What is Search Engine Optimization and how does it affect your web ranking? Optimizing a Search Engine? No, it’s optimizing your article. How does a Search Engine work, really? A search engine operates, in the following order
- Web crawling - Web search engines work by storing information about many web pages, which they retrieve from the html itself. These pages are retrieved by a Web crawler (sometimes also known as a spider) — an automated Web browser which follows every link on the site.
- Indexing - Search engine indexing collects, parses, and stores data to facilitate fast and accurate information retrieval. Index design incorporates interdisciplinary concepts from linguistics, cognitive psychology, mathematics, informatics, physics, and computer science.
- Searching - A web search query is a query that a user enters into web search engine to satisfy his or her information needs. Web search queries are distinctive in that they are unstructured and often ambiguous; they vary greatly from standard query languages which are governed by strict syntax rules.
Now what could be better than ranking among the top in search engine positions.
However, to strive for better ranking in search engines and to improve the site’s standing is no small feat. Keep in mind that you are competing with hundreds and thousands of competitors offering similar types of products and services. To get an edge, you need to fine-tune and actively work on your site to improve its position.
Steps to improve your Web Ranking:
- Provide a Search Engine friendly design
- Simplify your table structure
- Take out all the unnecessary spaces in the html code
- Consult with a professional search engine positioning specialist or web designer if necessary. A good SEO consultant can definitely help you improve your web ranking.
First and foremost, only the look-and-feel of a site does not make it a great one in search engine positioning. What makes your site look good may also be the reason behind poor search engine positions. The best way to figure this one out is to look at your webpage by using the html view of a few popular editors like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc. alternatively using a simple text editor will also suffice. Check to see if your original article is being pushed too far down the page. If that is the case, it would be more difficult for the search engines to pick up the information from your site. A few tips to deal with this type of situations are:
A misconception that most people have is that putting the keywords in Meta tags is enough. This is untrue since some search engines mostly do not use Meta tags and look into the copy of the page. So, it’s best to make sure that the important copy is in the first paragraph of text, in headlines (using headers such as H1, H2, H3) and in the active or clickable portions of link text on the page. Thus to improve a web page ranking the readable copy of the webpage must contain the keyword you wish to be found by.
Make sure that you page gets indexed or included in search engines. You can manipulate this process along by creating a site map, a web page that has text links to all the sub pages of your site. Also include a text link navigation system on your web pages. This is because search engines can use text links more easily. If a robot lands on your main page or site map page, it will follow the text links and then visit and index your lower level pages.
Having a good and valuable copy will make you a useful and valuable resource for other sites as well. The best way to speed this process along is to actively request links from other websites, either by trading links or by getting your content (with a link back to your site) placed on other websites
But one should remember that it is not the quantity of links that is important, but the quality. One good link is worth more than dozens of links from other sites. There is no short cut to this. You will have to provide a lot of useful information to be able to earn that right
The search engine algorithm is an ever changing entity. Keeping track of the new developments by participating in online forums or subscribing to newsletters will definitely give you an edge over your competitors. Update yourself on topics such as general webmaster related issues, search engine optimization and web ranking.
These five tips would certainly give you good starting point for improving your web ranking, whether you do it yourself or take help from a skilled professional.